Himalayan Haat 2008
Now entering its 8th year, the Grameen Himalayan Haat will be held on the 17th - 21st of October, 2008 in Satoli. The idea of the Haat, organized for the first time by Aarohi in 2001, is to promote such community-based events in rural Kumaon. The festival gives farmers and local artisans a chance to display their wares and provides them with a forum to buy and sell such products. The inaugural Haat turned out to be a medley of women’s groups (SHGs), youth groups, farmers’ organizations, other voluntary organizations and local entrepreneurs and artisans.
Seeing the success of the first event, the Haat has been organized each year since. Attendance has swelled from 2,000 to 10,000 and the event is slowly transforming itself into a major annual festival for the region, attracting local crowds as well as tourists.
Some of the specific objectives of the Haat:
- To identify and promote local artisans
- To promote SHGs to take up livelihood activities and move towards sustainability
- To provide a local market for local artisans, SHGs, entrepreneurs and farmers
- To promote the awareness of small and cottage industries
- To preserve folk songs and dances and promote cultural events as a source of livelihood
- To promote traditional recipes of local cuisine
- To promote tourism in the region
Now held each year in October when the weather is clear and the Himalayas are visible, the Haat is a festive occasion during which local communities have a platform to interact and sustain their traditional livelihoods. We encourage you to come out and enjoy the celebrations.
For more information on the event or to help support Aarohi in this endeavor, please contact us.